GOT IT! Echinopsis mirabilis Flower!

Echinopsis mirabilis on 6-3-19, #581-4.

Hello everyone! I hope this post finds you well. I have been keeping an eye on the Echinopsis mirabilis (Flower of Prayer) since I missed the last flower. On June 3, when I took the above photo and the one below, I knew it was getting close.

Echinopsis mirabilis bud on 6-3-19, #581-5.

If you missed the previous post about this plant, I had missed the last time it flowered. Plus, it was the first flower to open after I had brought it home from Lowe’s in March (2019 … Well, I had forgotten this plant flowers at night and only one night. So, when I got up to check the morning after, it was to late.

Echinopsis mirabilis at 7:20 PM on 6-4-19, #582-1.

At about 7:20 PM Tuesday evening, I thought I better go check on this plant to see what the bud looked like.

Echinopsis mirabilis bud at 7:20 PM on 6-4-19, #582-2.

The twisted appearance is pretty neat. Kind of like it is unwinding. 🙂

THEN, AT 10:30 PM…

Echinopsis mirabilis flower at 10:34 PM on 6-4-19, #582-3.

Echinopsis mirabilis!

THE FLOWER OF PRAYER!

WOW! AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL! I was nearly speechless! There have been a few times in my life I have seen something so amazing I was speechless! A miracle of nature right before my eyes! I ran back inside to grab the camera…

Echinopsis mirabilis flower at 10:35 PM on 6-4-19, #582-4.

It’s like everything, every movement, every breath, every thought stopped when I was looking at this flower. Everything except taking photos.

Echinopsis mirabilis flower at 10:35 PM on 6-4-19, #582-5.

The flower is so HUGE in comparison to the size of the plant itself!

Echinopsis mirabilis flower at 10:35 PM on 6-4-19, #582-6.

It’s like the love of your life looking you right in your eyes for the first time. Her smile, the twinkle in her eyes as she peered into your very soul! (Then you meet her for the first time after 36 years shopping in Wal-Mart and you strike up a conversation. Then she says, “Who are you?”).

Echinopsis mirabilis flower at 10:35 PM on 6-4-19, #582-7.

So beautiful and amazing! I took a whiff to see what it smelled like. It was weird. Barely any scent at all… Good thing it is self polinating. 🙂

This is the second time I have witnessed a night blooming plant… Last summer I went to my cousins home where they have this HUGE Night Blooming Cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum) I wrote a post about it and you can view by clicking HERE. It was an amazing thing to see!

We had our family reunion recently and she (my cousins wife) asked me if I wanted it. She said they hadn’t even moved it outside. Well, of course, it is very hard to refuse but it is HUGE! How do I even get it home? You know what they say, “Where there is a will, there is a way.”

Nature is an amazing thing and we are blessed to have so many miracles around is. Life in itself is a miracle and we are so blessed to live on this amazing planet called Earth. Take time to be aware of the miracles around you, how nature and life unfolds right in front of you.

What miracles of nature have you witnessed?

That’s it for now! Until next time, be safe, stay positive, be thankful and GET DIRTY!

22 comments on “GOT IT! Echinopsis mirabilis Flower!

1. Lisa at Greenbow says:

How exciting. I have never seen this plant before let alone the flower. A good thing you kept an eye on it. Wouldn’t you love to have had a slow motion recording of the unfurling.

Liked by 1 person

2. Jim R says:

Success! Good for you.

Liked by 1 person

3. Anonymous says:

Great pic!! I need to check I may have one in my cactus garden!! We moved so starting over and this rain has me behind! We may stop by next time we are in Windsor to get another garden tour!!
    Having trouble getting my Moonflower bush to take off!! Need drier and hotter weather!!
    See you soon — enjoy your articles!!

Liked by 1 person

• Hello Brian! So, you are all moved now? Did you manage to take all your plants and get them settled in? The rain has delayed a lot of things and I am having issues with some plants, too. I don’t even want to talk about the Colocasia esculenta. It’s a sad deal! You can stop by anytime, always good to see you! Thanks for the comment!

4. janesmudgeegarden says:

Wow, worth the wait, and congratulations on capturing the progression with your camera.

5. Vicki says:

It’s gorgeous and I’m so glad you were able to catch sight of its flower 🙂

6. Stunning , thanks for sharing

7. debbie lansdown says:

Hi Rooster
    Wow that is really a beautiful flower- even in bud, so lovely the way it twists. Open it’s really unusual.
    What is it’s pollinator?
    I’m so pleased your cousins wife is giving you the night blooming cereus. That’s great as you (& we! 😉) will get so much out of it. I’m looking forward to meeting her already!

Liked by 1 person

• Hello Debbie! It’s pretty neat at any angle. It is self-fertile, but Llifle says, “The spicy perfume and long, narrow flower tube suggest that the natural pollinator must be a long-tongued moth”. But, being self-fertile, they produce hundreds of seed whether they have been polinated or not. Hmmm… Sadly, information suggests this cactus is short-lived. Maybe it blooms itself to death. Still not sure how to bring the night-blooming Cereus home. Thanks for the comment!

8. Very cool – congratulations.

Liked by 1 person

9. How amazing!!!!!! What a beautiful flower!

Liked by 1 person

Please leave a comment. I would like to hear from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s