A Little Repotting

Adromischus cristatus at 1 1/2″ tall X 4″ wide on 10-17-17, #384-1.

Hello folks! I hope this post finds you well. Some of the plants in the beds are growing like crazy and I really need to work on the south bed before it gets out of hand. It is just to hot during the day and that bed remains in full sun until late in the afternoon. It was OK, then it rained last week so the plants I need to remove really shot up. Then, of course, the grass needs cut again and the shrubs in front of the house need to be trimmed now.

I took a little time last week to do a little repotting and dividing when the grass was wet. The Key Lime Pie (Adromischus cristatus) did very well last summer then went mostly dormant during the winter. The above photo shows what it looked like on October 17 last year. Most of the leaves fell off over the winter and then it grew an offset.

 

Adromischus cristatus (Key Lime Pie) on June 14, 2018, #459-4.

It started growing more of these roots along the stem and the offset was also growing. At least I think this is an offset of this plant. 🙂 So, while everything was wet from all the rain, I decided to take the opportunity to give this plant a makeover on June 28.

 

I removed the plant from the pot and separated the offset

 

Then I put the older plants deeper into the soil and put the offset in its own pot. Now, I will see for sure if the offset is from this plant or a sneaky Bryophyllum daigremontiana (Mother of Thousands)(Syn. Kalanchoe daigremontiana) I don’t think it is a Kalanchoe (or whatever you call it now), because this offset appeared over the winter and the Kalanchoe was under the table and the Adromischus was on top. The “other plant” had no plantlets at the time either. It is so hard calling the Kalanchoe daigremontiana a Bryophyllum after all these years of it being a Kalanchoe.

The other strange thing is the new growth on top of one of the older plants… Hmmm…

 

Then on June 30, I separated the offsets from the Kalanchoe luciae (Paddle Plant, etc.).The original plant looks a little weird after it took a growth spurt last fall and its stem grew crooked. There are roots growing under the leaves but it would be very difficult to restart it the plant like that. So, I just put the plant farther down into the soil. I put her babies in their own pots so they can all do their own thing.

 

The Oscularia deltoides (Deltoid-Leaved Dew Plant) was growing all silly and lop-sided so I put it in a different pot, too.

I am trying a new potting soil this year that has a lot of perlite so I just added chicken grit to the mix. So far it seems to be working OK. Cactus and succulent specialists recommend mixing 2 parts potting soil with 1 part grit and 1 part pumice. I can’t find pumice around here and haven’t bought any online.

That’s it for this post and on to the next one. Stay well, be positive, and give someone a big hug. As always… GET DIRTY!

4 comments on “A Little Repotting

  1. Pixydeb says:

    Great when you get the offshoots & So satisfying to see them all in their own little pots. Good job!
    It’s really hot here in England too 28 all day yesterday but I just had a message from my cousin in Cape Town and it’s snowing there! Unbelievable

    Liked by 1 person

    • Pixy, to me it is a sign they are happy when they send up offsets or flower. Some plants prefer to have their offsets remain in the pots with them to form colonies while others do better once they are removed. You have to think about where their offsets are. Do they send out long runners or do their offsets come up right next to the main plant? Of course, pots limit this. (Like when the Agave runners circle around the pot). SNOW in Cape Town? GEEZ! Thanks for the comment as always! 🙂

      Like

  2. Lisa at Greenbow says:

    Will be interesting to see if the just which plant the pup turns out to be.
    I have a paddle kalanchoe. I just left all the pups in a pot. They aren’t paddling as the original plant but looks interesting, to me.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Hello Lisa. I separated the pups of the Kalanchoe luciae to see if they all get bigger. They don’t have a big root system so they weren’t at all cramped up in that respect. I just wanted to give their leaves more room. Succulents are easy to experiment with so we will see what happens. Yeah, it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Key Lime Pie offset for sure. Thanks for the comment as always. 🙂

      Like

Please leave a comment. I would like to hear from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.