I did this little project on April 25 but just now had time to make the post. It is a good thing I made the bed when I did because it has been raining every since.
Believe it or not this entire area was where I had a really nice flower bed back in the early 1980’s. The concrete deal is where my grandmother had goldfish. I made a new top for it back then because the old one rotted. I am not sure if that is the same top or not, though. The pool had a crack in it about half way down so I took the goldfish out one winter. Umm… I had tropical fish in a 29 gallon aquarium until I bought a Kribensis Cichlid and that was the end of the rest of the fish. SO, I thought I would put the goldfish in with him. He was a small guy and the goldfish were much bigger. Well, I was busy back then in the hatchery business and algae took over the sides of the tank to where I could barely see inside. Next thing I know, there aren’t any goldfish left.
Where was I? Oh, yeah… I made a brick sidewalk all around the pool and had a flower bed all the way around. The fence around the chicken yard was about where the rock is and a fence around the garden past where the tree is on the right. My Hosta bed is above where the pool is. You will see in a minute…
First, I had to dig up the whole area. NO, I didn’t double dig, just one scoop down was enough. Usually I put all the dirt in the wheelbarrow and mix it up with the “GOOD STUFF” after it gets so full then dump it where I dug. That was kind of my idea at first, but I changed my mind. When i dig for a flower bed, I take one scoop at a time and remove all the grass, weeds and roots and put them aside to fill up holes in the yard. The soil I am going to use stays in the wheelbarrow until it gets full. This time, I put all the dirt back in the bed and smoothed it all out.
Then comes the “GOOD STUFF”. I broke up all he clumps and dumped it in the bed then mixed it all up with the soil.
Oh, yeah, one of the Old English Bantam hens was helping the whole time…
Then I placed the Hosta and Heuchera where I wanted them. The Leptinella squallida ‘Platt’s Black’ is in the left corner in front of the tree. Now you can see where the other Hosta bed is. There is a concrete slab on the other side of the other bed where an old shed used to be.
After I had all the plants in their place I put the Caladium ‘John Peed’ bulbs here and there. The bag said 6 or 8 bulbs, I forget which, but there were 15. Some of them didn’t look so good so we will just see how many come up.
I let the chickens out of their house since I was going to be outside for a while… I made sure the other two Old English Game Bantam roosters were in their pen so #1 wouldn’t be fighting… BUT….
The bigger chickens always stay close to the chicken house, not going more than 40′ feet away so far. The bantams always run to the back yard, close to where I was making the new bed. Well, #3, the rooster that is always outside, decided he would go have some fun with the Deputy (the White Chantecler rooster). The Sheriff was on the other side of the chicken house. Anyway, I had to stop what I was doing and go break up the fight. This was the second time they had been in a fight. the first time, the Deputy threw #3 out of the chicken house. It is so funny to watch the bantam roosters fight. They are so small and quick they confuse the big roosters. One kick from the bigger ones and the little guys go flying but they are back for more in a second.
I know them fighting is “inhumane” (GEEZ!) but this kind of entertainment is probably the oldest sport on the planet. Hunters used to take wild jungle fowl roosters back home and put them in cages and then let them out and watch them fight. They put the hens in cages for eggs.
One more photo… The Salvia nemorosa ‘Mainacht’ (‘May Night’) is looking very well. Next target bed is on the south side of the house. Let’s see what I can do there…
Well, that’s it for now. I hope you enjoy this post. Maybe you can find a problem area for a new bed.
Take care, stay happy, healthy, prosperous and GET DIRTY!!!