Hello everyone! I hope this post finds you all doing well. I am normally a very patient guy, but my impatience got the best of me. This time it was a good thing. This afternoon (Sunday) I decided to take the camera, get the hand trowel, and go searching for the Hosta that hadn’t come up on the 7th and 10th. Guess what? I found them!
I first went to the spot where the Hosta ‘Whirlwind was supposed to be. I put the trowel in the soil past where it should have been and raised the soil a little. Then, using my fingers, gently scraped off the top a little. I didn’t want to accidentally break off any sprouts that may be just emerging. Low and behold, I found Hosta ‘Whirlwind’ starting to come up. Perhaps with the freezing and thawing throughout the winter, the roots had gone deeper which delayed it coming up.
I went to where the label of the Hosta ‘Abique Drinking Gourd was and dug down a little in the soil behind it. I found nothing. I thought that was a little weird. So, I removed the leaves in front of the label and found it. GEEZ! I usually put the labels in front of the Hosta not behind them! Well, I suppose I must have forgotten about that even though I bought it in 2017. There are three Hosta planted the same distance from the old fish pool, so after finding this one, I have an idea where the other two are now…
I went to the spot where I thought I put the Hosta ‘Guacamole’ #2 last spring and removed the leaves and some of the soil. AH HA! I found it! Now I can move it back with the other Hosta ‘Guacamole’ so I won’t have them in two spots.
Then I moved to where the Hosta ‘Forbidden Fruit’ was supposed to be. Remember the last post I showed a photo of a hole where I thought it should have been? Ummm… Behind the label? So, I removed the leaves in front of the label and found the remains of an old flower stem… I removed some of the soil and found Hosta ‘Forbidden Fruit’.
There is still a vacant spot where the Hosta ‘Rainforest Sunrise’ was planted in 2017. It did not come back up last spring so I should find a replacement for that area. There needs to be four Hosta about the same size along the old goldfish pool.
I also found no trace of the Hosta ‘Red October’.
Then I moved to the bed where the Hosta ‘Dancing Queen’ and H. ‘Blue Angel’ has already come up to see if I could find the Hosta Krossa Regal’.
I removed a lot of leaves in the area where the 3-4 Hosta ‘Krossa Regal’ were supposed to be. I had moved them to this area in 2017 and also divided the clump. I ran my fingers through the soil a little and found two sprouts. I didn’t look for any of the others yet because I know now they will be peeking through any time if they survived. Since this one survived, there is no reason to think the others haven’t.
Then I went to check on the Hosta ‘Sum and Substance’.
I knew finding the Hosta ‘Sum and Substance’ may be a little tricky because the label disappeared. After removing a bunch of leaves and running my fingers through the soil I finally found it!
So now all the Hosta except ‘Red October’ are accounted for. WHEW! That makes 12 cultivars…
Then I went to the bed behind the old foundation (along where the back porch of my grandparent’s house used to be).
The Echinacea purpurea (Purple Cone Flower) have started coming up now. I planted several in this bed as well as one in the southeast corner bed by the house. They are all coming up now.
I took a better look at the Sedum kamtschaticum in the bed and saw how much it has spread. It has been here for several years but never spread this much before. Last year it sprawled out quite a bit and the stems took root where they were touching the soil. NICE! As always, there is a lot of Chickweed and Lamium amplexicaule (Henbit) coming up in this bed.
While I was at it I decided to replant the Sempervivum ‘Killer’. The older plants had died since they flowered last spring and left behind a mass of dead leaves and roots. Since they are monocarpic, they literally flower themselves to death. The plant in the center on the left side of the photo may be the remains of one that flowered than hadn’t completely died yet. They were in the center of the planter but I moved them closer to the east side. Now there are 15.
The Cylindropuntia imbricata (Tree Cholla) is getting bigger so working in this planter is a bit tricky. It stuck me a couple of times when I was removing the Sempervivum even though I was being careful. I may just have to move it somewhere else.
I removed the leaves from the corner where the Obedient Plant are to see how much they have spread. I think they must spread over the winter under the leaves that blow into the corner. To think it all started with only one plant in 2017…
That’s it for now. Until next time, be safe and stay positive. I am happy now that I can start getting my fingers in the dirt again.